What is OLED ?
OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diodes) is a flat light emitting technology, made by placing a series of organic thin films between two conductors. When electrical current is applied, a bright light is emitted. OLEDs are emissive displays that do not require a backlight and so are thinner and more efficient than LCD displays (which do require a white backlight).
OLED displays are not just thin and efficient - they provide the best image quality ever and they can also be made transparent, flexible, foldable and even rollable and stretchable in the future. OLEDs represent the future of display technology!
What is the advantage ?
- Improved image quality - better contrast, higher brightness, fuller viewing angle, a wider color range and much faster refresh rates.
- Lower power consumption.
- Simpler design that enables ultra-thin, flexible, foldable and transparent displays
- Better durability - OLEDs are very durable and can operate in a broader temperature range
The future - flexible and transparent OLED displays
- Curved OLED displays, placed on non-flat surfaces
- Wearable OLEDs
- Foldable OLEDs and rollable OLEDs which can be used to create new mobile devices
- Transparent OLEDs embedded in windows or car windshdields
- And many more we cannot even imagine today...
Flexible OLEDs are already on the market for many years (in smartphones, wearables and other devices) and in 2019 we have finally seen the first foldable devices - such as the Samsung Galaxy Fold and the Huawei Mate X - both are smartphones that open up to become tablet devices with foldable OLEDs. In 2019 LG also announced the world's first rollable OLED - its 65" OLED R TV that can roll into its base!
Currently the only company that produces OLED TV panels is LG Display. The Korean display maker is making 55", 65" and 77" 4K OLED panels, offering them to TV makers. Not surprisingly, LG Electronics is the leading OLED TV maker, but other companies such as Panasonic, Sony, Philips and others also offering OLED TVs that are based on LG's panels.
LG is offering a wide selection of OLED TVs, ranging from the "basic" (but still premium) OLEDB8 to the top-of-the-line Wallpaper-like OLEDW8. Reviews of current OLED TVs have been spectacular, with most reviewers and consumers that OLED TVs offer the best picture quality ever! LG's 2019 OLED TV range includes the large 88" 8K OLED Z9 and the rollable 65" Signature OLED R.